Thursday, October 26, 2006

What kind of person thinks of this?

I had a thought recently about Hummers. They're built by GM which I think means Gaia Morte. But without getting into that, the original machine was built for the military. The military, in typical military fashion, gave the Hummer an acronym instead of a name. The acronym was HMMWV. It means High (or "Hi" if you're in marketing) Mobility Multi-Wheeled Vehicle. This spawned the following thought, "I'm sure glad they got the Hummer cuz riding a unicycle must have made shooting very difficult."

I can only imagine our soldiers in Afganistan riding a unicycle in some of the villages there. I mean, Iraq is doable because it's fairly level, but Afganistan would be brutal.

Comments and reaction: Gaia is the Greek goddess for Earth, and of course, Morte means death. It's probably inappropriate to single out GM as a cause for the destruction of the environment, but they're the ones with the gall to build a civilian Hummer so I'm not too worried about that. Just so nobody is confused, I am a practical environmentalist. I recycle if there's a recycling bin convenient, but I don't sort my trash. I drive a scooter and don't approve of buying more car than is necessary, but if I have enough family to fill it, I'll buy a Tahoe to keep everyone together on road trips, screw the gas mileage. I practice no trace camping, but I don't care about preservation of any particular species of moth. And last but not least, I buy Patagonia stuff if I need it, not because of what they represent (that said, I don't actually have Patagonia stuff, I prefer Jack Wolfskin (a shameless plug for my favorite outfitter)).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home