Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Immigration

I am speaking only for myself when I say this.

I think my major issue with immigration from Latin America is not that they come here. I say the more people who are willing to work hard, the better. I can't say that it's a bad thing for Latinos to bring in their culture, who's to say which "culture" is better? My big issue is when people immigrate for a meal ticket and not a new homeland. Too many people immigrate saying, "Yeah, I live here, but I'll always be a _______." If they want to come fine, but come and be Americans, don't come for the work opportunity, come to be a part of the country. Wave the American flag, don't drive around with Mexican flags hanging off the car. When the Mexican soccer team comes to town, wear the Red, White, and Blue, not El Tri.

I love the immigration of personalities, but I don't want the immigration of nationalities.

1 Comments:

At 7:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to agree with you on this. Assimilation is a key. We don't need people who just want to pass through America, we want people who want to become a part of it.

I am reminded of a song from "The Happiest Millionaire" called "I'll Always be Irish" which is sung by an Irish immigrant. He says that he will always be Irish because of his heritage, but that he will be fully American as well. In the movie, before bursting into the song, he says that becoming an American is not taking something away from his heritage but adding something to it. He says in the song that he could go to any other country and try to become one of them and they would always see him as an outsider. The beauty of coming to America is that he can become a true American. We need immigrants who are coming to join us, not just work for us. We also need citizens who are really Americans (see American by Choice) and not just people who live in this geographic country. (Here's more of my 2 bits)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home