Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Boy Scouts v. ACLU


Boy Scout
Oath:
On my honor, I will do my best to do my duty to God and my country and to obey the Scout Law; to help other people at all times; to keep myself physically strong, mentally awake, and morally straight.

Law:
A Scout is:
Trustworthy,
Loyal,
Helpful,
Courteous,
Kind,
Obedient,
Cheerful,
Thrifty,
Brave,
Clean,
and Reverent.

Motto:
Be Prepared!

Slogan:
Do a good turn daily

If the ACLU is opposed to the Boy Scouts then it is opposed to its values. Therefore, the ACLU Oath, Law, Motto, and Slogan probably go something like this

Oath
I have no honor, but I will do my best to do my worst to God and my country and to ignore the Scout Law; to hose other people at all times; to keep myself physically weak, mentally asleep, and in a constant state of moral vertigo.

Law
The ACLU is:
Untrustworthy,
Disloyal
Unhelpful
Unfriendly,
Discourteous,
Unkind,
Disobedient,
Unhappy,
Untrustworthy,
Wasteful,
Cowardly,
Unclean,
and Irreverent.

Motto
Be Unprepared!

Slogan
Dig a pit for thy neighbor daily.

I guess it's easy to tell which organization should be kept around.

2 Comments:

At 5:48 PM, Blogger R W Smith said...

Actually this is the mission of the ACLU is to preserve all of these protections and guarantees:

Your First Amendment rights - freedom of speech, association and assembly; freedom of the press, and freedom of religion.

Your right to equal protection under the law - equal treatment regardless of race, sex, religion or national origin.

Your right to due process - fair treatment by the government whenever the loss of your liberty or property is at stake.

Your right to privacy - freedom from unwarranted government intrusion into your personal and private affairs.

 
At 10:09 AM, Blogger Carl Miller said...

r w smith, please learn the sacred art of reading what is written and not what you want to read. I didn't say anything about what is the ACLU's mission.
In it's simplest form, my message is that the ALCU is an organization with no moral compass and therefore cannot be trusted.
Given the ALCU's bitter opposition to the Boys Scouts, it's not a major stretch to say that the ALCU is opposed to the Boy Scout values. If the ALCU is opposed to the values, then it must have an opposite set of values. That is why I wrote what I did. I stated the opposite of Boy Scout values as the values of the ALCU. Now, I know that's hard to understand (especially given your support of the ALCU), but it actually does make some sense, ESPECIALLY if you have a sense of bitter irony.
One final suggestion: if you learn to read the words on the page, a whole new world of communication will open up to you and you might even gain some credibility when you talk to others.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home